18 December 2008

When Bedding Is the Gift

I was a teenager when I married and we were mainly poor. Oh, we were resourceful and inventive and had lots of fun creating a home from thrift stores but we were still mainly poor. I remember a treasured wedding gift: a blanket. It was far more important than the silver asparagus server although you can guess which gift has survived almost four decades.

In those salad days, I appreciated an ongoing gift from an older relative who visited every year. She brought a set of sheets on each visit. The collection was slow-growing but tided me over the years that pretty bedding was far down on the priority list.

For this holiday, I get to give a gift of bedding, except it's really a gift of laundry. We will be houseguests amid a string of houseguests and I told our hostess that I have the efficient plan for that. We shall bring our own bedding and remove it, too. She laughed out loud and said, it's my gift! Yes, it is.

© 2008 Mary Bold, PhD, CFLE. The content of this blog or related web sites created by Mary Bold (http://www.marybold.com/, http://www.boldproductions.com/, College Intern Blog) is not under any circumstances to be regarded as professional, legal, financial, or medical advice. Or education advice. Or marital advice. Or even a tip.

No comments: