21 November 2008

Personal Technology: Replacement iPhone


Thank you for your inquiries. You felt my pain. Image at left is iPod, not iPhone, but the reason will be apparent shortly.

Last weekend I dropped my iPhone on the tile floor of the kitchen. It was an impressive drop. I waited a while before turning on the phone but I wasn't surprised when I was met with a messy screen. I was lucky that the phone still worked, but the display was highly unreliable and some screens were simply unreadable.

So, I went to the Apple store and made my first Genius Bar appointment. Um. Five hours in the future. The concierge (yes, I said concierge) offered immediate appointment with a sales associate but that would mean a replacement cost of $399. The more likely "accidental damage" replacement possible at the Genius Bar, she advised, would be $199. So, then, I went back to the Apple store five hours later.

My assigned Genius was sympathetic and set about an examination. He commented that this severe a display problem would normally be accompanied by a dent or at least a scratch on the phone. This phone looked perfect. Was it possible that the display problem came at some other time than the drop on the floor? "No," I assured him, "it was a definite thud. And the next time I turned on the phone, the display was messed up."

The Genius was not persuaded. "I think the case would show signs of external damage, too." I really did not know how to explain to the Genius any better than I had, and, in truth, I began to distrust his Genius status.

Then, he made a stroke of Genius: "I'm going to replace this phone at no cost. I'm very sorry you've had this experience with your iPhone."

Um. OK.

So, I did what any boomer-aged woman would do at that point. I went over to the iPod table and picked out a stunning black Nano for my niece as a holiday gift. (It's OK. I'd bet money that this teenager is not reading my middle-aged blog.)

© 2008 Mary Bold, PhD, CFLE. The content of this blog or related web sites created by Mary Bold (www.marybold.com, www.boldproductions.com, College Intern Blog) is not under any circumstances to be regarded as professional, legal, financial, or medical advice. Or education advice. Or marital advice. Or even a tip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great aunt you are! I'm sure she's not reading your blog either. Happy to hear that you are now back in i-phone land! Yes....I felt your pain too. Sending goodies your way tomorrow.