11 November 2008

Boomers Traveling: Sharing Car Space

The Bolds driving their smallest car (smallest ever, not just currently) for a road trip means making comparison between compact and full-sized van, compact and SUV, and compact and mini-van. The full-sized van offered a full-sized bed in the back but, of course, the gas mileage was about 14 miles/gallon. The SUV provided some stretch-out space and mileage was in the low 20s, but its only real superiority was in its cup holders.

For best of most worlds, I liked the mini-van for travel: gas mileage in the mid-20s, enough stretch-out space for sleeping, and room enough to move between seats easily (my favorite feature).

So, here we are in the Prius. Not a good car for sleeping. Not the best cup holders. Certainly not good for moving between seats. But gas mileage of 48 to 52 miles/gallon.

On the last trip across half the country, I decided to create as good a riding space as possible. I called it the mini-mini-van. Sitting in the larger half of the split back-seat, I arranged travel bags and pillows so that I could lounge comfortably with a fair number of technology toys within reach. I pushed the passenger-side front seat forward and removed its head rest. This permitted full view of the road ahead. From the back seat I also gained full view of the instrument panel, thereby able to advise Tom on his speed and gas tank level any time I darn well felt like it.

© 2008 Mary Bold, PhD, CFLE. The content of this blog or related web sites created by Mary Bold (www.marybold.com, www.boldproductions.com, College Intern Blog) is not under any circumstances to be regarded as professional, legal, financial, or medical advice. Or education advice. Or marital advice. Or even a tip.

No comments: