05 March 2009

Homeless concern

A friend in Missouri wrote to me with a concern she and her husband have:

I was reading your blog... Hotel Whitcomb, etc., and speaking about the homeless... For the past few months, a young couple has been coming to our house looking for work/money. They said they are homeless. He is an unemployed construction worker. His wife has health issues and cannot work. He tries to earn $20 a day so they can get a room for the night. There are no couples' shelters in our town—there is nothing for women unless they are battered. I checked with a food bank about that and what they say, is true.

We have given them $20 - $25 from time to time. The other night they came by at nearly midnight. We feel terrible for the couple. However, we feel, it is not a solution to just give them money. So. I got on the Internet and the phone and found some resources for them. They haven't been back, yet. I have the page I printed up right by the door for them. I still feel badly planning on not giving them money the next time; however, eveything I read and everyone I spoke with said, "Do not give them money." I hope things get better for everyone in the near future!

© 2009 Mary Bold, PhD, CFLE. The content of this blog or related web sites created by Mary Bold (www.marybold.com, www.boldproductions.com, College Intern Blog) is not under any circumstances to be regarded as professional, legal, financial, or medical advice. Or education advice. Or marital advice. Or even a tip.

No comments: