06 February 2009

Personal Technology: The Odometer Record

I started this in January to solve my problem of documenting odometer readings for tax purposes. I photograph the numbers at start of trip and again at end of trip. (iPhone may not sport the best camera among cell phones but it satisfies my needs just fine.) Then, I email the photographs to myself. On the subject line, I enter just enough detail to be able to identify where I was traveling and why. The emails are date stamped automatically. I use the filter feature of gmail to archive them under the label “E-mileage[taxes].”

By streamlining the email steps, my new system surely beats keeping a paper diary, my old way of recording odometer readings. If my email crashes? I'm no worse off than if I were to lose a hard copy version. And, frankly, I lose email less frequently than I lose paper documents.

© 2009 Mary Bold, PhD, CFLE. The content of this blog or related web sites created by Mary Bold (www.marybold.com, www.boldproductions.com, College Intern Blog) is not under any circumstances to be regarded as professional, legal, financial, or medical advice. Or education advice. Or marital advice. Or even a tip.

No comments: