15 January 2009

Rewards of Cutting Back: Sometimes You Don't Have To

With clear understanding that we could all compute more economically from campus labs and library bays, we nevertheless prefer broadband in our own homes. The cost can be outrageous but speed is addictive and I have lately found myself impatiently tapping my finger when data moved slowly. So, with great dread I phoned our ISP (Internet service provider) to find out what faster access might cost. The dread was this: I expected to not only hear a too-high price but also a reason to cut some TV channels to lower our monthly bill. Yep. I was ready to cut something. (Well, not the Internet, of course.)

I was pleasantly surprised: not only did I lower our bill by $18/month, but I kept all the TV channels, doubled the number of HD channels, and increased the Internet speed from 5 Mbps to 20 Mbps. This involved the Triple Bundle and the Double Play. Or something.

These gains did not come easily. I couldn't register online to manage the account myself, so I was forced to call by phone. My computer-assisted call took extra time as I kept having to select "Other" as my option. I was on hold for 40 minutes waiting for the human assist. And it still took 20 minutes past that to review the account. Our account number was no longer valid (no explanation why) but now I have the new account number plus the "pay number," which I will never need to use but should write down anyway. Our data could not be accessed without a certain phone number (that I had 8 years ago and luckily remembered yesterday) but now my current phone number is listed. Our zip code was 3 digits off. Not 3 numbers off the last digit. I mean, out of 5 numbers in the zip code, 3 were wrong. I was advised to retain the wrong zip for future reference as the correct zip code will not be entered into the system. One part of the record was accurate: our credit card number was correct. That's where the bill goes.

© 2009 Mary Bold, PhD, CFLE. The content of this blog or related web sites created by Mary Bold (www.marybold.com, www.boldproductions.com, College Intern Blog) is not under any circumstances to be regarded as professional, legal, financial, or medical advice. Or education advice. Or marital advice. Or even a tip.

No comments: